The old prefectural office which was built in 1924 (Taisho 13) has bared a witness to the history of Ishikawa for last 86 years and now it has been renovated into “Shiinoki Cultural Complex”.
The front side of Shiinoki Cultural Complex has elegant looking red brick architecture and the dome-shaped grand chinquapin (shiinoki) trees stand in front of the building which faces Hirosaka Street; the front hall has a lingering historical atmosphere while the side facing Kanazawa Castle Park is fitted with glass walls, thus creating a design that harmonizes the new and the old.
This three-storied complex offers information about Kenrokuen Garden and its vicinity, besides equipped with garden room and seminar rooms that can be used for conferences or other multi-purpose activities. This facility is expected to revitalize exchange activities and hustle-bustle in the area.
The two 300 year old Chinquapin trees standing symmetrically in front of the main entrance are designated as Japan’s National Natural Monuments. When Ishikawa was known as Kaga Domain, the area around these trees had a practicing arena for shooting arrows and a rice storehouse shaped like a famous temple in Kyoto (Sanjusangen-do) and the name “Temple-shaped Chinquapin” seems to come from this source.
The side of the Guesthouse facing Kanazawa Castle Park is fitted with glass, which allows one to enjoy the superb view of the stone wall of the Castle.